Friday 4 November 2011

REVIEW: Janice Thompson – Fools rush in (4/5)

Series: Weddings by Bella, #1

Couple of covers:

clip_image002 clip_image004

Genre: Christian romance, western romance

How did I get it: I got it free for the Kindle

Summary: Bella Rossi may be nearing thirty, but her life is just starting to get interesting. When her Italian-turned-Texan parents hand over the family wedding planning business, Bella is determined not to let them down. She quickly books a "Boot Scoot'n" wedding that would make any Texan proud. There's only one catch--she's a country music numbskull because her family only listens to Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. Where will she find a DJ on such short notice who knows his Alan Jackson from his Keith Urban? When a misunderstanding leads her to the DJ (and man) of her dreams, things start falling into place. But with a family like hers, nothing is guaranteed. Can the perfect Texan wedding survive a pizza-making uncle with mob ties, an aunt who is a lawsuit waiting to happen, and a massive delivery of 80 cowboy boots? And will Bella ever get to plan her own wedding? Book one in the Weddings by Bella series, Fools Rush In is fun, fresh, and full of surprises. Readers will love the flavorful combination of Italian and Tex-Mex, and the hilarity that ensues when cultures clash. (from Goodreads)

Favourite cover: I’m sad I could only find a really small one of the hardcover book cover, which is the one with the cowboy boots on it, because I definitely prefer that one. I love how the quirkiness fits the atmosphere of the book.

Title: I’m conflicted about the title; on the one hand, it’s fitting that this book would chose the title of a Frank Sinatra song, seeing as his and Dean Martin’s music play quite a part in it. On the other hand, it doesn’t really fit the country theme of the book and I wouldn’t say Bella and DJ are rushing into anything at all.

Characters: Most of the time I loved Bella, though her insecurity and fear of her family messing up her relationship kinda bugged me. If she loved them all so much, wouldn’t she put more importance on DJ loving her because of her family, instead of despite them? DJ, on the other hand, is a real sweetheart and I can totally see why Bella lost her heart to him.

But the characters I really loved in this story were all the supporting characters: all of Bella’s family, Jenna, her best friend and all of DJ’s family were such fun people that I loved reading about them.

Setting: It’s set on Galveston Island, around Bella’s home, her wedding facility and her uncle’s pizza place. Parts of it are set at DJ’s family’s house, in Splendora, Texas.

I love the idea of setting a romance story in a wedding facility. It’s just such a perfect fit that it makes for great stories. I also love how the western setting plays such a big part in this story; it is, in fact, one of the main storylines because while Bella lives in Texas, she’s from an Italian family and has never embraced the whole country lifestyle, while DJ is a cowboy through and through.

General story: This story is a Christian romance, there is no getting around that; a quick search within my ebook reveals 63 mentions of ‘God’ and 67 mentions of ‘Lord’. If you’re an atheist or offended by the idea of a God watching over you and giving you opportunities, this is not the book for you. I personally didn’t mind it at all.

Fools rush in is a saccharine story with a happy ending for everyone; all quirky comedy and filled with love (both family love and romantic love). It really is the kind of story you want to crawl up in bed with after a hard, cold day with a cup of hot chocolate in your hand.

Will I read other books from this author? I probably will.

Will I read the next instalment in this series? I might.

Hotness: A sex-free zone

Overall rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment