Thursday 12 January 2012

REVIEW: Carrie Vaughn – Kitty and the midnight hour (5/5)

Series: Kitty Norville #1

Couple of Covers:

clip_image002 clip_image004 clip_image006

Genre: Urban Fantasy

This is the book for you if you like:

- Kickass heroines
- Werewolves
- Kim Harrison’s The Hollows series.

How did I get it: I got it via Bookmooch

Summary: Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station - and a werewolf in the closet. Her new late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged is a raging success, but it's Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew?

(from Goodreads)

Favourite cover: The covers are, in order: Paperback cover, German cover and Kindle cover. I really dislike the Kindle cover (even if I do like that font), though that’s probably at least partly due to the fact that I don’t really like to see faces on my covers – I feel like it forces some kind of imagination upon me. I don’t seem to have that same trouble with backs, however, as covers like the paperback cover, which show a girl from behind, really do grab my attention. I also really love the details in the paperback cover, like the small patch of red in the ribbon in her hair. But I think I like the German cover best; it breathes such a mysterious atmosphere.

Title: For some reason, titles that have this template, of [Name] and [Actual Title] sound a bit like child’s books for me. But apart from that, The Midnight Hour seems to fit both because Kitty’s show has that name and because it sounds fantasy-heavy to my ears.

Characters: I love Kitty. She’s exactly the type of spunky heroine that I like; she was thrown into this life, but she has decided to make the best of it. I love how she has the guts to go on with her late night talkshow, even if the entire paranormal society is against it. She fights for the ability to have her life as she wants it and I like that in my heroines.

Cormac is such a delightful mix of badassness and a well-hidden heart. I really look forward to exploring him and his relationship with Kitty more.

There were quite a few minor characters in this book, but I felt like I got to know them all, at least a little bit. I really love Matt, her assistant at her DJ job. I also have a soft spot for TJ.

Setting: The story is set in Denver, a city with a pretty big supernatural population; both werewolves and vampires roam the town.

The integral part of the setting was the radio station where Kitty hosts her late night show. I really love the fact that it’s based on this show and that we get to see a lot of it. Too often a book starts with such a great premise and then lets it go in favour of all the excitement or romance, but this book really went back to that radio station.

General story: I loved this book. I devoured it.

I have to admit, I’m usually more of a vampire kinda girl. Werewolves have never really been able to interest me and more often than not, when I read a book about werewolves, I walk away with a feeling that it reaffirmed my preference for vampires. Kitty, however, is a book about werewolves that grabbed my attention and didn’t let it go again. The werewolf hierarchy is a big part of the book, but in a way that had me emotionally invested. I really liked the way the scenes in which Kitty was a wolf were described: not only were they in italics, they also were from a third-person point of view, while the rest of the book was in the first-person point of view.

At no point in this book was I bored or thinking that it should have been written differently. I liked the mystery in finding out who the rogue was, I loved the scenes in the studio, I liked the cult-like story of Elijah Smith, I loved how high the excitement was in the final part of the book.

Will I read other books from this author? Yes.

Will I read the next instalment in this series? Definitely.

Overall rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment