Thursday 19 January 2012

REVIEW: Neil Gaiman – Stardust (3/5)

Couple of covers:

 clip_image008clip_image004clip_image006

Genre: Fantasy

How did I get it: I borrowed it from a friend

This is the book for you if you like:

- Original fantasy stories
- Love stories without an emphasis on the romance

Summary: In the tranquil fields and meadows of long-ago England, there is a small hamlet that has stood on a jut of granite for 600 years. Just to the east stands a high stone wall, for which the village is named. Here, in the hamlet of Wall, young Tristran Thorn has lost his heart to the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester. And here, one crisp October eve, Tristran makes his love a promise -- an impetuous vow that will send him through the only breach in the wall, across the pasture... and into the most exhilarating adventure of his life.

(from Neil Gaiman’s website)

Thoughts on covers: The covers are, in order, for the following editions: paperback 2009, paperback 2001, kindle. While I really love the colours of the 2009 cover, it doesn’t seem to really give you a feel of the book. I really adore the 2001 cover; I think it captures the atmosphere of the book perfectly.

Title: Seeing as the star is the centre of this book, I think the title fits perfectly. More than that, I think it’s a title that easily grabs your attention and that is easily remembered.

Characters: I had trouble connecting to Tristran, the main character of the book. This made especially the start of the book pretty tiresome for me. I did, however, really, really like Yvaine and she was the sole reason why I finished the book.

Setting: The book is set in Fairy, a land right next to the world we know, but where everything is different. There is magic all around and nothing is anything like what we know. I loved discovering Fairy throughout the book.

General story: I had a particularly tough time getting through this book, though I can't really pinpoint why. I had tried to read it once before and back then, I put it away when Tristran had just entered Fairy. I think my inability to connect to the boy was one of the reasons, as was the fact that I couldn’t stand Victoria from the moment she was introduced and it was hard for me to invest in a quest that was all for her benefit. Also, some parts of the book (especially the parts about the Lords of Stormhold, which seem to be entirely unrelated to the rest of the book until you’ve finished reading the entire story) just bored me.
But this time around, I did finish it. I especially liked the idea of the star being a person and I wanted to know everything there was to know about her. My favourite part of the book might just have been the part where Yvaine and Tristran are on a ship above the clouds, harvesting lightning. It had such a tranquil and lovely feel to it. I also really liked the epilogue.
This is actually one of those books that I would like to see in movie format; maybe it'd be one of those occasions where I prefer the movie to the book.

Will I read other books from this author? I might.

Overall rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment